Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Heeding God's whispers







I love how God still speaks to us in different ways. I am in awe that He who created the universe wants to be in intimate relationships with us and use US to do His work. I know I could share countless times how I have ignored His word and His nudging. I am constantly reading in His word each day how Jesus listened, how He loved, how He fed. Even the story of how He told his own disciples, who only wanted him to care for himself and rest, that they needed to let the children come see Him. Those kids weren't a disturbance.






Sometimes I am trying to get the kids to nap and clean the house and when local kids stop by for a snack or are an hour early for Kids Club, I turn them away to get my chores finished. Even if I don't have much, I still have a piece of bread to share. And the floor can wait a few minutes to be swept, it often does anyways! This happens a lot where I don't help and am only focused on me. I keep praying and everyday hope I am more like Christ.






Yesterday was one of those times, I did listen. I felt like this was a crazy, busy week.






And the ministry here of WISE is being expanded constantly. Originally WISE was started as WIE (Windward Islands Evangelism) to evangelize, not just as a school, but through everyway. And that's what we hope to be doing too, with WISE and just as followers of Christ. We have the Bible College to train leaders, the preschool to start training children young and impact families in the community, the Kids Club to continue to teach the children of the community of God's love, the church to minister to the community and help our students train and practice in, Maddie's dance class this year to minister to the girls in a unique way, and small groups to reach out to our neighbors and impact students and church members. It is easy for me to say there is our work, God. That's what we are doing. Pretty busy. But, loving and listening to Him is not a schedule of when and what time I plan for Him to use me.






Recently one of our past grads, neighbor, and friend started an orphanage in her home and is helping orphaned children unite with forever families to love and grow them. Because of extra space and the fact that we want WISE to be a place of love that people can come and grow at, it has been perfect that the adoptive families have chosen to stay at WISE for the time it takes for them to get their paperwork. It is a challenging time for the families as they wait and hope. While it has only been 3 families, we see how our students are encouraging them as they come to adopt.






So, this week one of the adoptive mom's is here at WISE. And I had been thinking I was so busy, but would love to have her over for dinner at some point with her newly adopted son. But, for several days I thought...God you know my house is a mess, I am tired, and this mom probably does not care about making new relationships. I listened to God's whisper and not my own excuses this time, though. This sweet new mom and her son came over, we enjoyed a great fellowship time, got to know her better, and she stayed for our small group. This is what she had to say after, "Blessed to have been fed both physically and spiritually by awesome new friends tonight. Thanks again! You have no idea how much I needed this evening."






I don't share this to give us glory at all, please know I mess up more than I listen. Besides, some of the food was burnt:) But, I am so thankful I listened this time to God's whispering. He knows what His children need and sees this bigger picture when I usually can't. Jesus just saw people and met their needs one by one and filled them. I just pray I can do that and be open to His promptings.






Sometimes when I read of how Jesus met each need, giving a drink, healing, and praying - I wonder how can I do this? And I am reminded again, just stop, He'll guide us and show us and use us, whether a drink for someone, a dinner, teaching a lesson, or even a smile. Because with all of us combined doing His work, He is using us to impact the world for Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We hit the Jackpot!

The chance of winning the lottery is 1 in 302.5 million The chance of making it to the Olympics is 1 in 1/2 a million.   The chance in havin...